Sleep apnea is a well-documented, yet often undetected sleep disorder in which your breathing patterns are interrupted while you sleep. If left untreated, sleep apnea can pose serious health risks. Be advised, there are numerous risk factors that can influence your risk for sleep apnea, as genetics play a heavy role in its existence. Listed below is some information about sleep apnea:
– Sleep apnea linked to obstructed airways is known as obstructive sleep apnea.
– Sleep apnea linked to signals from your brain failing to be read by your muscles is known as central sleep apnea.
– Males over the age of 40 are at the highest risk for sleep apnea.
– Sleep apnea can be linked to allergies, sinus problems, a family history of the disorder, genetics, nasal blockages, a deviated septum, breathing obstructions, large tonsils, a large tongue, a small jaw, and various environmental factors.
– If left untreated, sleep apnea can contribute and lead to serious conditions such as heart attacks or stroke.
For more sleep apnea advice and help from our team at Bella Vista Dental, come in for a visit. If you would like an oral exam from Dr. Lara Perry, please book an appointment to come see us at our dentist office in Seguin, Texas. We can be reached at 830-379-8902. Come see us, and let us show you the benefits of a better smile today!