Have you or others been experiencing teeth grinding? Also known as bruxism, the consequence of constant grating of the teeth creates damage. Damage may include effects on teeth, jaw muscles and the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). These can often be caused by an abnormal bite, missing teeth, sleep disorders, anxiety, or stress. Grinding on a regular basis can be treated here at Bella Vista Dental. We want to provide the best oral care for your teeth and give you information relating to bruxism. Some indications of teeth grinding include:
– Repetitive contractions of the jaw muscles
– Clicking or popping of the TMJ
– Constant headaches
– Tenderness of your lower jaw
– Painful jaw muscles or pain in the face
– Cracked dental fillings, injured gums and/or teeth
Teeth grinding may result in changes of the face, esthetic issues, fractures, and loss of teeth. The TMJ and chewing muscles may be affected by teeth grinding due to severe force on the teeth. Contact your doctor about reducing this stress and possibly examining your medications if stress or anxiety contribute to your bruxism.
Teeth grinding prevention includes:
– Avoiding grinding or clenching during the day by training your tongue to rest behind your teeth.
– Stop smoking or using alcohol.
– Foods and drinks containing caffeine should be avoided.
– Avert from opening or chewing plastics or wood such as containers, pens, pencils, or straws.
– Have your dentist fit you with a night guard to protect your teeth while you sleep.
Bella Vista Dental wants to give you ways to prevent bruxism from happening and help you stop your teeth grinding. Contact us at 830-379-8902 here in Seguin, Texas to get an appointment or consultation today.